Monday, October 14, 2013

Two Faces of Ophelia

According to the book, Ophelia looked like naïve and listening person, but she also looked tired of listening to Laertes advice. This shows how caring Laertes is to his sister. Since his caring is so great that even his sister is tired of listening to it. Also when Laertes leave he wants Ophelia to write letter to him, saying”/but let me hear from you.”(1.3.1-4) Ophelia in my perspective before watching the video, she is very naïve and listening, but after watching the video, it showed me many way that Ophelia can be looked. The two video I saw showed differences between them. In Zeffirelli’s version, Ophelia truly loved Laertes because she cried, or looked sad, when his brother was leaving. She seem to be willingly to listen to his brother’s advice. It was similar to book, but the advice part looked short because it only lasted about forty second. In Zeffirelli’s version, it showed to me that Ophelia cared about his brother than Laertes caring about his sister. Ophelia was sad when Laertes was leaving, but Laertes looked hurried. It showed me that Laertes cared about her sister, but he was little bit selfish and wanted to go to France. However, Patrick Stewarts’s version was different than what Zeffirelli’s version. In Patrick Stewarts’s version, Ophelia looked and sound more rebellious. She looked like she was evading his brother’s advice. She also kind of shows inappropriate stuff like “condom” and making Laertes worried. In my opinion, this video was different than Zeffirelli’s version because they added modern items and ideas to it. In this version Laertes is the one who cares more about the Ophelia, but Ophelia does not care that much. Sometime it reminds me of my brother and sister situation, since my sister doesn’t listen to my advice that much. The two videos I watched were very different and showed me lots of different perspective. The reasons are because two movies has different time setting. Zeffirelli’s version was more similar to the book because there wasn’t much change needed, but the other one required some change since it was set at the modern time. If I choose the best actress who represented Ophellia, I would choose Helena Bonham Carter because I believe that Ophelia should be a girl who listens well to his older brother. 

1 comment:

  1. Tony, your blog post shows me you really understood the plot and the conflict of this scene, 1.3. I agree with your interpretation of Ophelia and Laertes, and Ophelia’s reaction to the helpful advice Laertes is giving her. However, you never mention the title of the play, Hamlet, and the “/” in your quote is only necessary when you are quoting multiple lines of poetry, not just one. On the other hand, when you compared and contrasted the two interpretations of Act 1 Scene 3, you really expressed the differences between the two videos and explained Carter’s and Zeffirelli’s interpretations of Ophelia and Laertes. Overall, though there were a few grammatical and spelling errors, your blog post truly shows me the depth in which you picked apart these characters and understood the plot.

    ReplyDelete